The range of treatment provided by an orthopaedic surgeon is vast. It includes treatment that spans sprains, broken bones, amputation, surgical prosthesises, and reconstruction as well as managing disease processes and rehabilitation.
Common Orthopaedic Procedures
Orthopaedic surgeons perform a variety of surgical procedures to correct deformities, repair fractures, and manage disease. More common procedures include:
- Arthroscopy. Utilizes specialized cameras and equipment to see into a joint to diagnose and treat problems.
- Fusion. Bones are fused together using internal devices (metal rods) and/or bone grafts.
- Internal fixation. A procedure that puts fractured or pieces of bone together in the correct position using metal plates, pins or screws.
- Joint replacement. Uses an artificial joint (prosthesis) to replace joints damaged by injury or arthritis.
- Osteotomy. To correct bone deformities by cutting and repositioning the bone.
- Soft tissue repair. The mending of soft connective tissue including torn tendons and ligaments.
- Foot and ankle
- General orthopaedics
- Hand and upper extremity
- Joint replacement surgery
- Pediatric orthopaedics
- Spine surgery
- Sports injury